Mr. Joseph Cannataci currently is the Special Rapporteur on the right to privacy for the United Nations. The Special Rapporteur’s mandate arose from the international furore surrounding the revelations by Edward Snowden about the activities of intelligence agencies, especially concerning national security protection.
The annual reports of this rapporteur can be found on this page. Interesting documents can be foud there, like:
- The statement of 1 March 2019 (pdf), on his recent report, having as subjects [i] security and surveillance; [ii] privacy, technology and other human rights from a gender perspective; [iii] privacy and health data; [iv] privacy metrics.
- The 2019 report of 27 February 2019 (MS Word, advance unedited version). The Special Rapporteur informs the public on his activities and the subjects mentioned in the statement.
- Upping the Ante on Bulk Surveillance, An International Compendium of Good Legal Safeguards and Oversight Innovations (pdf).
- The Right to Privacy in the Digital Age, page.
- International standards, page on international human rights law relating to the promotion and protection of the right to privacy.
Read more on the appointment of tis Rapporteur on this page.